Friday, November 11, 2005

MUCH TO DO ABOUT NUFFINK

So, I guess I'm going to really be diving into the world of online comics, or at least attempting to.

For years now, I've been fortunate enough to always have a home, somewhere, in which to publish my work. Times being what they are, or maybe my talent being what it is, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. At least, not to the extent that I'd like. Too many responses from 'brand new' companies who are somehow overwhelmed with projects through 2010; too many artists who are hungry, absolutely ravenous, about getting published, but don't have the fortitude to actually produce anything, or suddenly decide that they need 'money', in order to finish the book, the book they couldn't get from anyone else, and will now use as a published sample to get work from Marvel or DC or whomever.

I want to be mad; I want to rail at the world and shout "Not Fair!!!" I shouldn't have to work this hard after 20 years! And then I tell myself to grow up, and deal.

The online world has many many perks for comic book creators, and a few downsides as well. The ups are that there are no distributors to dictate what they will carry or not in their catalogs (remember when distributors just distributed?) and thus prevent me from sharing my meager efforts with the rest of the world; the ups are that my work can be seen in color; the ups are that, potentially, that same work can be seen by about a zillion more people (or at least five more) online, than ever could in hard copy form. The ups are that I can see my work more immediately, and get responses more immediately, than I ever could before. Another up is that I can tell a story in whatever length I need to, not have to worry about page count, or nothin'!

The downsides? Well, hell, I still gotta find that artist, and now I'll need a colorist, to boot.

Online comics are still, for the most part, considered a 'wasteland' of some type, or, rather, a 'junkyard', of failed comic projects or, worse, failed comic creators. That's really sad, but it is at least rooted in some reality. It is akin, for me, of the early to mid 80's, during the Indy comic boom, when anyone with enough coin in his or her pocket could get their comic book published, regardless of the quality of the work (this is, of course, before the rise in paper and printing, before the death of the comic book specialty store). And while, yes, there are a great many earnest, talentless people making comics online, there are also quite a number of really, really, awesome people who are having fun and doing great work. And who are being read!!! And those other cats, who aren't quite as talented? I say the same thing now as I did during the 80's; more power to 'em, man! If you can, and you want to, then you should, and let the public decide if they like it or not.

Some very hip online sites you should hit are www.01comics.com , moderntales,com , komikwerks , pv comics (just found them today!), and, while I'm sure there are more out there, there are still more being created every day. Check out as many as you can, you'll be glad you did.

And to those naysayers who say that webcomics will never replace paper, I say, yeah? So? We don't have room for another kind of comic book entertainment?

I'll let you know how things turn out, 'kay?

Huh? Oh, yeah, no, don't worry; I'll still work in the paper industry, too. Hell, I'll work for whoever will have me!

No comments: